11.11.08

My CHALLENGES!

The challenge is simple: to read or listen to (because audiobooks are a great format for these books) each of the six Outlander books in publication order prior to the release of An Echo in the Bone. SIGN UP HERE

  • Outlander (also known under the title Crosstitch for our friends across the pond)
  • Dragonfly in Amber
  • Voyager
  • Drums of Autumn
  • The Fiery Cross
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Thanks to Michele @ The Reader's Respite for this challenge!




[Click on the Image above to goto the challenge post of mine]
[Click on the Image above to goto the challenge post of mine]

[Click on the pic above to goto challenge post]

Click here for the main page.
Rules:
*The challenge runs from January 1 to March 31. (No cheating and starting before!)
* You must read three books. After that, it's up to you how much you want to read.
* The books must: have a food name in the title OR be about cooking/eating OR have a place name in the title OR be about one (or more) person's travel experience OR be about a specific culture OR be by an author whose ethnicity is other than your own (see, I squeezed it in!)
I'll leave it up to you to choose how the three books you read fit the criteria.
* They must be middle-grade on up, but can be either fiction or non-fiction.

  1. Half of a Yellow Sun




Click here for the main page.
Rules:
* Anyone can join. You don't need a blog to participate.
* Read 12 Young Adult novels. You may list your chosen books any time during the year. Change the list if needed.
* Challenge begins January thru December, 2009.
* You can join anytime between now and December 31, 2009.


My list:
  1. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
  2. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer












There is no 'official' start/end date set by the host.
The goal in establishing this challenge is simple: I want to read as many Heyer novels as I can.
My list -


War Through the Generation CHallenge's very first reading challenge will be World War II. The challenge will run from January 1, 2009, to December 31, 2009.
Read at least five books throughout the year.
I am sure I will read two- [ and I will add up as and when I get books :) ]
  1. Atonement by Ian McEwan
  2. The Remains of the Day by Kauzo Ishiguro
  3. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
  4. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
  5. Ha’penny by Jo Walton
  6. Farthing by Jo Walton
===========



9 Books for 2009

Yet another challenge I am joining, this is to help me be done with my TBR ;)

RULES

  • Open to anyone, whether you have a blog or not!
  • No need to register or to announce what you are going to read.
  • Start in any category that you wish.
  • 3 books from this reading challenge can be used in other reading challenges.
  • Just post in the comment section.
  • The genre of the books can be ANYTHING (fiction or non-fiction), but it must be decent (because you have to write reviews about the books).
  • Other reading materials (graphic novels, poetry, museum catalogs, art books, zines etc.) are OK.
  • The book must already be in your bookcase or storage area.
  • The Challenge starts 12/27/08 to 12/27/09. (I hate to begin anything on January 1st).
  • You can post starting on 12/27/08.
  • Format of work can be paper, audio, or electronic.

These are the NINE categories to celebrate 2009! See the above tabs for details. (

To post, please click one of the tabs for the specific category and place your review JUST in that category, not on any of the 4 pages on the front of this blog.

  1. Long
  2. Free
  3. Dusty
  4. Used
  5. Letter
  6. Strange
  7. Distance
  8. Alive or Not
  9. Cover
----------------------------


Read 12 books by authors that you have only read once. It doesn't have to be a series. Well Thanks JKaye! I am doing this one too!
My list - [ this will be changed :)]
  1. Thousand Splendid Sons - Khaled Hosseini
  2. Sarah Dessen [ I will tell u which book later on ]
  3. Paulo Coelho [ I will tell u which book later on ]
  4. Dan Brown
  5. no
  6. no
  7. no
  8. no
  9. no
  10. no
  11. no

------------------

I read "Like Water for Chocolate" and fell in Love with Latin American Lit :)
So I have joined this fun challenge!
This challenge will run for 4 months, between the 1st January - 30th April 2009. Read 4 books of Latin American Lit... Read more about this challenge here




A very SIMPLE challenge, read and review EACH book you read in 2009, which anyways we will be doing right?! Join this challenge.

+++++++++++

Rules of this challenge: * Read SIX (6) different (one from list above to total six) sub-genres of thrillers in 2008. * Read SIX (6) different (one from the list above to total six) sub-genres of thrillers in 2009. Come Join US
  1. The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Crime Thriller)
  2. Standoff by Sandra Brown

+++++++++++


As I really got one of her books on recommendation from someone [ I don't remember now :(] I thought I might as well do this challenge :) It begins January 1, 2009, and goes through December 31, 2009. The goal of this challenge is to read TWO of her books. (Audio books are welcome.)
  • Just Listen By Sarah Dessen
is in my TBR list. I will update the next book I get here. Come Join US


***********
I have not signed up for this challenge yet .. I am going to do it in sicrit :D LOL! Because I am not sure if I will be able to complete it :) But if you would like to JOIN, click here

OK I went ahead, and joined this challenge! It officially starts on Jan 1st, 2009 :) and well I say I will read 26 Titles. And You will see this segment updated :-)!
  • Titles
  1. A
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D
  5. E
  6. F
  7. G
  8. H
  9. I
  10. J
  11. K
  12. L
  13. M
  14. N
  15. O
  16. P
  17. Q
  18. R
  19. S
  20. T
  21. U
  22. V
  23. W
  24. X
  25. Y
  26. Z
+++++++++


Read 100 short Stories - no deadline as such. Come Join US!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&


From Nov,2008 to Nov, 2009 .. I am also going to do the 1% challenge!
I will update my list here [See the 1001 LIST here][A newer list is here!]-
  1. God of Small Things - completed [ my thoughts ]
  2. Like Water for chocolate - completed [ my thoughts ]
  3. The Little Prince - Completed [ my thoughts]
  4. The Christmas Carol - Completed
  5. Jane Eyre - Reading
  6. Things Fall Apart
  7. Thank You, Jeeves
  8. Family Matters
  9. Memoirs of a Geisha
  10. Persuasion
  11. Metamorphosis
  12. Silas Mariner
  13. Atonement

_________

I am signing up for the What’s in a Name Challenge 2, hosted by Annie.
Dates: January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009
The challenge is to read one book from each of the following categories:
  1. A book with a “profession” in its title. Examples might include: The Book Thief, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Historian
  2. A book with a “time of day” in its title. Examples might include: Twilight, Four Past Midnight, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  3. A book with a “relative” in its title. Examples might include: Eight Cousins, My Father’s Dragon, The Daughter of Time
  4. A book with a “body part” in its title. Examples might include: The Bluest Eye, Bag of Bones, The Heart of Darkness
  5. A book with a “building” in its title. Examples might include: Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Little House on the Prairie, The Looming Tower
  6. A book with a “medical condition” in its title. Examples might include: Insomnia, Coma, The Plague

I think it sounds like fun! I’ll fill in my list as I go.

  1. Profession:
  2. Time of Day: Night by Elie Wiesel
  3. Relative: Daughter's of Fortune by Isabel Allende
  4. Body Part: The Bluest Eyes by Toni Morrison
  5. Building: House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
  6. Medical Condition:
==============================================================

Choose at least 5 novels read them between Jan 1st though Dec 31st 2009. You can change your choices at any time. Crossovers between other challenges are fine.
Read them at your own pace in 2009 then come here and post the link to your review(s).
Link your "RRC" choices here with any of these graphics:

1. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
2. True Believer by Nicholas Spark
3. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
4.
5.

Apart from this I want to also read MINIMUM 25 books in 2009 :-). This next challenge I have not signed up yet, as I am not sure, if I will be able to complete it! :)



Guidelines
  1. Read 10 award winners from August 1, 2008 through June 1, 2009.

  2. You must have at least FIVE different awards in your ten titles.

  3. Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.

  4. You don't have to post your choices right away, and your list can change at any time.

  5. 'Award winners' is loosely defined; make the challenge fit your needs, keeping in mind Rule #2.
  6. ENJOY!
So My list so far -

1) The Kite Runner - 16th AUGUST - [my thoughts]
Book Sense Bestseller List Sensation
Boeke Prize
Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers Award
ALA Notable Book
Alex Award
Borders Original Voices Award 2003
Entertainment Weekly's Best Book 2003
San Francisco Chronicle Best Book of the Year 2003
Literature to Life Award

2) Unaccustomed Earth - 6th September - [my thoughts]
Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award
3) The Gathering - 2nd October - [my thoughts]
4) The God of Small Things - [my thoughts]
Man Booker Prize

TBR
5) Half of a Yellow Sun
2007 Orange Prize
6) Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Margaret Wong Memorial Prize, a major literary award.
7) The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And don't forget to have fun while reading!

15 Comments:

gautami tripathy said...

You better delete that spam!

And best of luck with your challenges!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gautami!

Are you NOT joining in :() ??

come on -- lets do it together :))

иidhi S said...

Mark me in.
joined it :).

Alea said...

Wow look at all your challenges! I've doing my very first one right now!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart for putting it all under one post!

Anonymous said...

Alea - which one r u doing?

J. Kaye! I saw this on Bethany's blog, and thought it was a good idea :)

Alea said...

Fall Into Reading!

Anonymous said...

And thats the one I am not DOING :)

Well I am going to put the same books into each category :D :D

thats my plan!

Priya Iyer said...

wow! so many challenges.. thanks for this post!

the romance one i should take it up.. would complete it successfully.. hain na? :P

btw, the 'whats in a name?' challenge also sounds damn interesting... and the a-z one too.. hell, all of them do :)

Anonymous said...

Priya HAHAHA!!

DO THEM ALL! "_"

The Bookworm said...

good luck with all your challenges, glad to see you joined the Romance Reading Challenge too.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

good luck with the challenges!:) i am definitely doing the latin america challenge as well.. and i am going to be doing the jewish literature one.. am considering the 999 challenge but 81 books might be a little too much for one year.. so still thinking about that!

Anna said...

I'm so glad you're participating in our WWII challenge!!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Serena said...

Thanks for joining the WWII challenge...It's going to be fun...

and if you wanted to join the Fall into reading Challenge, you should just take books from the other ones and read them by the deadline!

Melissa said...

That's a long list of challenges! Thanks for joining up for mine... I look forward to seeing what books you pick!

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online