6.9.08

Review: Unaccoustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri

I have never in my life reviewed a book, but many people have asked me about Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccoustomed Earth, so here I am!


The book is a compilation of short stories. Jhumpa Lahiri, herself is a Bengali who was brought up in US, so her stories mostly are based on different genre of Bengalis who came to US for their higher education and then eventually settled there with there kids. There struggle, their necessity to keep the culture alive in their kids.There are a lot of issues, that we don't have to think so much in our personal lives, that really exists in those who immigrate to the western culture. 
All the stories, I have read are about such families/ kids from such families who are taught about Bengali culture but are more Americans than Bengalis. 
Her style of expressing human emotions and the trivial day to day commotion, is amazing. 
The language and style of writing is likable and simple.

The book has it all, I must say!

It is an easy read. The stories are not stretched to fill up the pages.
I recommend this book to my freinds,  Enjoy it with a cup of masala tea :)

3 Comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Yes, I agree, this is a fabulous collection of short stories. I love Lahiri's writing style, simple yet evocative. Did you have a favorite story? I think mine may have been the story of the married Bengali woman and how the arrival of a young Bengali man to their neck the woods transforms her otherwise mundane life.

Anonymous said...

So True.
I am not completely done with the book, but I guess my fav is the one about the father coming to see the daughter who is settled in some other part of the country and who dreads the fact that the father might come and settle down with her. And I lov the story that you have mentioned also. :)

Bonnie said...

I have this to read and can't wait to read it. I have so many books ahead of it to read and review..I'm going to sneak it in sooner! I loved Interpreter of Maladies and The Namesake.

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online