9.12.08

#4 The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson

This book, 500 odd pages! I don't know WHY I picked it up! [ S. Krishna's review and was available at an amazing price as well ], but 500 pages, I didn't think I would be able to complete it, over this month at least. But yesterday, I slept at 4 AM. Just because I wanted to know, who killed Harriet Vanger!

From Amazon.com,
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Cases rarely come much colder than the decades-old disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family's remote island retreat north of Stockholm, nor do fiction debuts hotter than this European bestseller by muckraking Swedish journalist Larsson. At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets (as suggested by its original title, Men Who Hate Women), this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker. Hired by octogenarian industrialist Henrik Vanger, who wants to find out what happened to his beloved great-niece before he dies, the duo gradually uncover a festering morass of familial corruption—at the same time, Larsson skillfully bares some of the similar horrors that have left Salander such a marked woman. Larsson died in 2004, shortly after handing in the manuscripts for what will be his legacy. 100,000 first printing. (Sept.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

When the story started, I had no clue what was in store! But then when the main protagonist Blomkvist meets Henrik Vanger; the story is a roller-coaster ride. How the heck do you think, can one person find out about a person who is been missing for 40 years!
Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tattoo is a very interesting character. She has so many issues, despite of which she has some enviable talents as well. She helps Blomkvist in his investigation. Salander specializes in digging out information, she is the best researcher in whole of Sweden.

All characters, everything about this book is awesome! It is awesome the way the story unfolds, bit by bit! I really like Blomkvist and Salander's team! I really like Henrik Vanger too. The Swedish names are a bit troublesome, though you would usually wouldn't need to remember them at all.
Awesome Book, a page-turner [even if it is a BIG book :)]
I am SURE, you will enjoy this thriller/mystery!
Damn! I read it in the night, and I don't know it gave me creeps, reading it. of course there is no ghosts, but still.
Anyone waiting for the next in this millennium trilogy? I am most definitely waiing. It is availablr for pre-order :)! Go ahead and order your copy at amazon, I have to wait :( !

1 of 12 for the Suspense & Thriller Challenge.

Remember to,


Love,


It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

14 Comments:

Beth F said...

I've heard so many good things about this book and I love mysteries... I'll have to put it on my list for 2009. Thanks for the review.

Nely said...

I am actually reading this right now. I am only by page 50 or so though. It's taken me a little bit to actually get into it, but it is just starting to pick up. I can't wait for lunchtime to go read some more. Thanks for the review.

Darlene said...

Great review Veens. I've not read this but I'll have to look into it. Glad you liked it.

Meryl said...

That late night reading is killer on the next day, but somehow it's worth it!

S. Krishna said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I can't wait for the next one to come out.

Anonymous said...

Beth, It is really good. You should read it :)

Anonymous said...

Nely. True. Up until Blokvist meets Henrik, it is a bit slow. All that courtroom drama and the finance thingy is not my thing.. but it will get interesting :D

Anonymous said...

Dar, thanks Girl :) I hope you like it too!

Anonymous said...

Meryle Righto :) But it is alright if the nxt day is a holiday :D :D

Anonymous said...

Krishna, Thanks :) Me too! it is coming out in 2009 :)

Michele said...

I have this book in my pile and now I know I must read it soon! Thank you for reviewing this one, Veens, it was a great reminder to get going on this one. :)

Anonymous said...

ahhh! I am glad ;) Michelle :) I hope you review it soon :)

Anonymous said...

I wrote a review about this book on my blog. I read all the three books in the trilogy and I must admit that Stieg Larsson was brilliant!

Anonymous said...

the writer, You got to be kidding, how did u get hands on all the 3 copies?!!! Wow! Awesome! All 3 are great - that sounds so good!

I will most definitely hve to wait for its release in paperback :)

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online