6.11.08

Review: The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni – Halevy

The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni – Halevy is a riveting tale of a determined, highly respected leader and prophetess Deborah.

This novel is set in ancient Israel in the twelfth to the mid eleventh centuries BCE. In this gripping tale, Deborah is a very powerful woman who judged the people of Israel. People from far and wide would come to Deborah to seek judgment and counsel. Deborah was married to Lapidoth, and could hear God’s voice too. Her prophecies were highly revered and mostly came true too. She more than often set out to tell people the wishes of God and to tell them to mend their ways or else the wrath from Heaven would be unbearable.

On one such day, Deborah has a vision, and understands that she has to have a war against the neighboring Canannites, who have been terrorizing the people of Israel and looting them and killing many as well. She summons Barak, the mightiest of all and asks him to launch a war against them. Despite all the odds, they succeed. From the destroyed royal family of the Cannanites, Barak brings back 2 princesses Asherah, the most beautiful of the beauties and Nogah, the illegitimate daughter of the King.. And thus starts a gripping tale of love, disappointment and hatred.

The story weaves around Deborah, but at no point in the novel, do we feel that she is the only person. She is extremely powerful, but never uses her power for anything that’s against Torah rules. She is very humble and generous all throughout but nevertheless not perfect and I really found that aspect of her drawing. Barak on the other hand is one man, who is powerful, intelligent and a womanizer but extremely noble in his heart. He never forces his way with women, but women are drawn to him so much that they feel it a great reward to be with him.

I would love to say that I am in love with Barak’s character, but Nogah is the one who got all my love and anticipation. She is the quite powerhouse of knowledge and love and I identified with her so much too. And for being her aide, I really liked Uriel also.

Being totally clueless about this chapter in the Bible, I was truly amazed at the in depth knowledge about this period of time, that this book bestowed on me. It was fast-paced, well-written and Eva has done full justice to all her characters. I would love to tell you all about each and every character and more about them, but I would like you all to read and ravish and understand.

I give it 5 on 5. And I am thankful that I read this amazing tale that has given me a taste for historical fiction. I am all ready to pick up other titles by Eva herself.

A HUGE thanks to Dar for hosting the giveaway!

And another HUGE thanks to Eva for sending me my signed copy!

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

14 Comments:

gautami tripathy said...

veens, that was a good review. I ike historical novels.

BTW, if you come to Delhi, you are gonna get books from me. How is that?!

Anna said...

Great review! I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my list. I'm not very familiar with this Bible story either, but I'm intrigued. I must go look it up.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

S. Krishna said...

Great review! I haven't read any historical fiction Biblical novels, but I might have to give this one a try.

Anonymous said...

Gautami! Thanks! Awesome! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Anna! U must check out Dars review on this one - she has put the verse from the Bible too!

thank u so much for the appreciative words!

Anonymous said...

S. Krishna -i think it is a great book to start with ! :)

and i m sure u will like it too!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

great review! I have this and really need to read it. thanks for the reminder :)

glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Bethany - thanks! Let me know your thoughts!

Darlene said...

Veens, what an awesome review! You totally captured this book perfectly.

aMus said...

wow! great review...i don't think i would have ever picked this book up...

i've not read too many historical fiction...

btw, what happened to teh other blogs?

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

This looks really good Veens. I love reading about strong women. I may have to check it out.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

What are you reading now??

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

So glad you like the colour!!! I like it too. I was really hoping to not have to change the color of the pictures :)...

Wow, you are reading two heavy books at the same time!! Half A Yellow Sun is not an easy read and we all know The God of Small Things is not either. You need something light before you crash girl...find something fun to read!! haha.

You totally reminded me I need to post the book!! I will head over now and do that :)

I just got done typing 11,050 words, YAY!! I am %10 there!!

иidhi S said...

great review. i'll try geting a copy for myself.
i love books/ poems on biblical context.

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online