25.10.08

The Soul of Afghanistan...!!!



Khaled Hosseini, with his books, 'The Kite Runner' & 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' has brought out the soul of Afghanistan in his words. His words add magic to the all magical land.
He has brought many people like us close to what Afghanistan actually is, rather than being a hot topic in debate or top story in news articles. I would say that my view about Afghanistan has changed after reading his books.

Both his books deal with Afghanistan before and after the wars, and both end with a new light of hope shining at the distant horizon for the people of Afghanistan.

Where 'The Kite Runner' deals with a child facing complexities, and in a world of his own, his fears, his wishes, his dreams, his aspirations dominated by his how he falls prey to a system where not every person is treated equally - but how can a strong feeling be justified in the mind of a child, who even after many years, away from the place - the system & and: the people he betrayed, his conscience is heavy with guilt and somewhere inside he knows, that debt has to be paid. And He gets his second change with Rahim Khan's message "There is a way to be good again.", coming back to the land of his birth which was nowhere close to the land he had grown up in. The book leaves your ears ringing with Hassan's call "...For you, a thousand times over." Everytime, this line came up in the book and i couldnot stop but feel a tear trickling down my cheeks. Hassan's letter to Amir actually left me with a broken Heart.
Its not easy to touch so many hearts and lives with just words, and in that respect Khaled Hosseini has done a commendable job.

'A Thousand Splendid Suns' runs parallely between two women, born in different decades, but in every right independent. Its starts with One Women, her growing up years, her married life and then with the birth of another girl in a household, the story shifts to her growing up years and her love life, and the step she initially takes to save that love. 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is the story of people who stayed back and lived with the ongoing war. Where millions were dying, how two women with different pasts and values get connected to each other with a never ending bond. And then there is no limits for Love, "Love just is" (As Paulo Coelho puts it in 'The Witch Of Portobello') - no meanings, no definitions, no baundaries.


I loved both the books, both bear with them the soul of Afghanistan and Khaled Hosseini keeps alive that spark. Both the books are set in Afghanistan and talk about how it suffered under war.





Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Veens

16 Comments:

Darlene said...

Great post Veens. I also read both of these books and loved them. I agree that these books bring us closer to understanding just what is going on in Afghanistan. I'm anxious to see what he'll write next.

S. Krishna said...

I haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns, but I really liked The Kite Runner.

Sandra said...

I loved both of these books too. I found the one about women to be quite as powerful as The Kite Runner in its own way. I can't wait until the author writes another book. Thanks for reviewing these.

Anonymous said...

My husband read this one. I'd planned to watch the movie, but time is such an issue.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

So glad you loved these books! I love what you say about A Thousand Splendid Suns and there being no limit for love--it really was a beautiful book about love. I haven't read Coelho but I'd like to some day.

Anonymous said...

I loved both the books. I am really hoping he publishes his next book soon, i will be the first in line to buy it.

Anonymous said...

LOLOL! You changed the background again! :) I like this one even better, I think.

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

great post!
read both the books-gave me sleepless nights.even posted a poem on kite runner.
http://pareltank.blogspot.com/2008/06/kite-runner-novel-by-khaled-hosseini.html

иidhi S said...

@ dar

Hi Dar thnx. same here. i cnt w8 to get hands on his next book too.

иidhi S said...

@ s. krishna

thanks for dropping in. its a must read.

иidhi S said...

@ Sandra.

i agree with you when you say that both the books are powerful in their own way, both instill different emotions.
thanks :)

иidhi S said...

@ j kaye.

okyes. the movie is good too. but then books are always better. and books give you a better understanding of the subject and a good hold of emotions the author is trying to evoke.

иidhi S said...

@ AArt

thanks so much for the update. no kidding i can kill for his works. lolz

иidhi S said...

@ Trish

thanks for appreciating what i had to say.
Yes Paulo Coelho is a very subtle writer and if u have nt yet read him, take my word for it..its never too late.. grap your copy ASAP.

иidhi S said...

@ Violet crus

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

иidhi S said...

@ Kochuthresiamma

great to hear from you. well i surely will chek out your poem.

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online