9.10.08

Short Story Review 1: The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin


The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin is the Story of this week at Narrative Magazine

This story as the title suggests is an hour in the main protagonists Mrs. Mallard's life. Mrs Mallard who is suffering from heart disease, hears about her husbands death, after which the story beautifully expresses the one hour she spends agonizing about death. Her mixed feelings and then the belief that death will eventually give her the liberation that she seeks and then the unexpected twist. 

I want to share with you an excerpt, which is about how she saw death as a liberation and that totally touched me - 

There would be no one to live for during those coming years; she would live for herself. There would be no powerful will bending hers in that blind persistence with which men and women believe they have a right to impose a private will upon a fellow-creature. A kind intention or a cruel intention made the act seem no less a crime as she looked upon it in that brief moment of illumination.
It is truly a touching story, a very quick read also.  I recommend it highly :)



Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Veens

6 Comments:

--xh-- said...

will give it a try :) in a mood to re-read the fountainhead now though!

Anonymous said...

:-)

thanks!

gypsy said...

sounds interesting and different...

wud try n find...

Anonymous said...

:-) try it out!

Anonymous said...

Veens - Great to have you on board the 100 Shots of Short Challenge. I've added your link to the main challenge page.
Good luck and I look forward to following your progress (you've read a couple of really intriguing stories that I'm interested in for myself, already)
Warmest
Robert

Anonymous said...

Thanks Robert! I am glad you think so! And I will be following your progress too :-)

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online