10.10.08

Short Story Review 2: The Ghost by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Read about The Ghost by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at Gautami's Tripathy's blog the first time, and had bookmarked it too. So today I read it at last!

This short story is based after the time of the war between Nigeria and Biafra. 
It is about Prof. James Nwoye, who has gone to the University for his pension, which has been due for awhile now. There he meets  Ikenna Okoro, who was thought to be dead during the war. He first
 thinks, that he is a ghost, but later on realizes he is alive and had migrated to Sweden during the war. He was one of those who had not remained true the Biafran cause, he thought.

This story, gives you a sneak peek in to the lives of people like Prof. James Nwoye, who taught at the university - during the pre-war phase, then hoe their lives c
hanged during the war and then the consequences of the war! How for them, death during war, was just like death due to some accidents. About their lives that were destroyed by the war and their after-maths. How 'fake-drugs' didn't kill people but left them be killed by illness. 

This story is about his life in a nut-shell, about his dead daughter and wife. About his living daughter who is worried for her father, who stays alone in Biafra. 

And this story is about James's dead wife Ebre, who visi
ts him weekly, to moisturize away the dryness of his soul with nivea. 


**====**

I would like you guys to read Gautami's review too! Which is by the way perfect :-)
I wanted to copy her style, but can't :o)

I was preparing myself for 'Half the Yellow Sun' by the same author. I think I like her already :-)

If you guys have time, do check out the short story at Zeotrope

Take Care!
Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Veens

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You did well reviewing it.

And no, I don't have any problem if you link any post with your. Just give me credit. Thats all. And you misspelled ny name. It is gautamI not gautamY!

You can aso read my poetry on my other blog. Link that too i you wish. To go there, just lick on my name here.

Anonymous said...

Great review! Sounds like a wonderful book. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gautami, and yes I know about your other blog too :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks J Kaye for appreciating my review!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

oh, I loved Half a Yellow Sun, well "loved" as much as you could "love" a horrible/ amazing novel on wartime and all the hardships that come with that.

I would be interested in one of her short stories, she is an excellent writer!

Anonymous said...

Bethany :-) I am really glad you loved the books as I have to pick it up next :-)

You should read Ghost, hopefully you will like it!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online