27.9.08

Mysore

As a tribute to the city which I have made my abode, I will try and share with you guys its spectacular history in bits.

 

Join me in exploring MYSORE, the way I see it. 

 

Mysore is a very beautiful and calm city which is the second largest city in Karnataka [capital -Bangalore],India


 

The name Mysore  is an abridged form of "Mahishasuru"Mahishasur according to Hindu mythology was a demon who ruled Mysore, and uru means home, and hence the name Mahishasuru. It is believed that Goddess Chamundeshwari [goddess from Hindu Mythology] killed the evil Mahishasur and freed Mysore. Her temple is situated atop Chamundi Hills and Mysoreans and I believe that she still protects us all from the evil. 

 

I found a little political history [ which we will explore in detail later on] about Mysore from Wiki [excerpt from Wiki]

 

Until 1947, Mysore was the capital of the Kingdom of Mysore which was ruled by the Wodeyars dynasty, except for a brief period in the late 18th century when Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan took power. The Wodeyars were patrons of art and culture and have contributed significantly to the cultural growth of the city, which has led to Mysore earning the sobriquet Cultural capital of Karnataka. Mysore is famous for the festivities that take place during the Dasara festival when the city receives a large number of tourists. Mysore also lends its name to the Mysore style of painting, the sweet dish Mysore Pak and the garment, Mysore silk sari.

 

To be continued.


PS- Pics are by Veens.

2 Comments:

Bonnie said...

Veens,

Thanks for posting on my blog about Bitter Sweets. I highly recommend it! I thought that I would check out your blog as well. I love the photo on your header and your blog is great. I like that you are sharing it with a friend and you get varied reviews, great idea! What a history your city has! Can you post more pics of the actual city, would love to see them.

DINTOONS said...

great post on mysore!

hi veens,

thanx for the kind words!!
well, i love the mickey toon too... a case of one master inspiring another ;)

sure go ahead and use it for your blog... an acknowledgement/link would be great, of course :)
i just hope mickey is fine with it :P

Random Books from my TBR pile

blogger templates | Make Money Online